Thursday, July 24, 2008



"Rabbit" the rabbit saves the day

A pet rabbit is being credited for saving the lives of a couple after fire swept through their home this morning.

Firemen say the husband returned to his home in Macleod, Melbourne, from night shift this morning only to hear the family pet, named "Rabbit", scratching at the bedroom door 30 minutes later.

He discovered a fire in the back room and smoke spreading quickly through the house.
"The rabbit saved the couple from injury," Metropolitan Fire Brigade commander Mick Swift said.

A smoke alarm had been removed from the ceiling while the back room of the home was being painted, he said.

"The lesson to learn from this is that, even if a smoke alarm is removed, it can still be put high up on a shelf," Mr Swift said.

It took four crews to extinguish the fire, which caused substantial damage, including smoke in the roof.

AAP July 24, 2008 - 10:17AM